Football. Postgame Notes From Ohio State vs. California
Sept. 15, 2012
No. 12 Ohio State (3-0) 35, California (1-2) 28
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
Sept. 15, 2012
OHIO STATE POSTGAME NOTES
- With the win, Urban Meyer improved to 37-4 in September. Meyer has started a season 3-0 or better 10 times in 11 seasons as head coach.
- Ohio State has won 60 consecutive regular-season non-conference home games against teams not ranked in the AP Top 25. The last loss: 34-17 to Florida State, Oct. 2, 1982.
- Ohio State is 60-7 at Ohio Stadium since the start of the 2002 season.
- Ohio State is 6-1 all-time against California, winning each of the last six meetings.
- Braxton Miller had a hand in all five Ohio State touchdowns, throwing for a career-best four and rushing for one. He has five career two-touchdown games, including one this season vs. Miami.
- Miller’s 72-yard pass to Devin Smith in the fourth quarter was a career long completion, topping the 54-yard pass he had at Michigan last season.
- Miller ended the game with 249 yards passing, completing 16-of-30 attempts. It was a career high, topping the 235 at Michigan in 2011.
- Devin Smith had a career-high 145 yards receiving, including a career-long 72 yard game-winning catch in the fourth quarter. It was his second career game with two touchdowns and first since Sept. 24, 2011 vs. Colorado.
- The 55-yard touchdown run by Miller in the first quarter marked his sixth run of 20 or more yards this season. The run was Miller’s fifth rushing touchdown of the season.
- Jake Stoneburner’s 40-yard reception in the first quarter marked a career long. Stoneburner tallied his 11th career receiving touchdown in the second quarter and 12th in the fourth quarter.
- Ohio State converted on a two-point conversion attempt in the fourth quarter vs. the Golden Bears to take a 28-21 lead. The last successful two-point conversion by the Buckeyes was Oct. 16, 2010.
- Ohio State, which entered the game with three sacks in its first two games combined, had six sacks on the day, the most since recording six vs. Wisconsin Oct. 10, 2009. Six Buckeyes recorded a sack vs. the Golden Bears.
- Christian Bryant had the first interception of his career late in the fourth quarter to help Ohio State close out the win.
- Ryan Shazier had a career-best 10 solo tackles, topping the mark of seven he had vs. Penn State last season. Shazier had a team-best 13 tackles in the game, with two TFLs, including his first sack of the season and the third of his career.
- Bradley Roby recorded his first career sack in the first quarter, sacking California quarterback Zach Maynard for a loss of 11 yards at the Cal 39 yard line. He had a career-high nine total tackles and career-best seven solo tackles. Bradley Roby recorded two tackles for loss totaling 13 yards, his career best for TFL in a single game.
- Johnathan Hankins had a career-high 10 tackles, besting the nine he had at Illinois last year.
- Senior outside linebacker Etienne Sabino took down Maynard on third down for a loss of 10 yards in the first quarter. It was his first sack of the season and he has 3.5 sacks for his career.
- Defensive lineman Garrett Goebel recorded his first sack of the season and the second of his career at 12:33 of the second quarter.
- Maynard was sacked on third down by Ryan Shazier for a loss of 9 yards at the 1:33 mark of the second quarter. It was his first this season and the third of his career.
Buckeye Tickets← Back to Home
Tags: career, fourth, game, high, loss, maynard, notes, ohio, quarter, reception, run, season, yardToday’s OSU PollWhich of the Buckeye's New Signing Class Will Have The Best Ohio State Career?Watch Our Video!